The last time we looked into the mists of the ball was for the month that has just gone under the bridge and downstream.
Happy New Year has already been wished to all readers in the last entry. The harbingers are indeed propitious for an excellent year in music, with Canberra’s many groups and festivals presenting a true smorgasbord of delights.
In addition to the orchestral, vocal and jazz groups appearing regularly, the Canberra International Music Festival, now directed by that wonderful musician and conductor Roland Peelman under whom I have worked on many occasions, promises new pleasures. A new Early Music Festival is being cooked up for October.
The Director and some of our fine singers in The Resonants, whose great musical talents frequently enrich the gatherings at South Woden, will again offer an interesting and varied programme of the highest quality during 2015. Your web-master continues to sing with The Oriana Chorale.
Taking another peek at the Ball for January, we see the following:
- 4 Jan: already blogged. Taizé refrain to Psalm 72 marking Epiphany. St James and Yarralumla members join us at South Woden.
- (11 Jan: no service as we attend St James.)
- 18 Jan: Psalm 139 with a refrain by Jane Marshall from the New century hymnal.
- 25 Jan: gentlemen, I hope you are all available for this, the first of our 4th Sundays appearances. We sing Psalm 62C by Thomas Tallis in PFAS. Another post will follow up on detail.
Cantors and chorus for each of the three Sundays @SW are invited. Your suggestions, and voices, will be welcomed as always.
A new phase of self-help planning and leading after Rev. Rachel’s departure begins from now.
During the interregnum, those planning and leading services may benefit from the recommendations for Sundays through to the end of April in the Psalm Selection Plan on the SW Music Dropbox. Please contact me for the link or sharing.
A new resource page, Notes for leaders, now appears on the menu at left. It contains little new information but may be a handy reminder.
Also high on the priority needs list are volunteers from May to October during my various absences to undertake the following main roles:
- psalm selection and music recommendations, working with rostered leaders and planners, and
- blog authors to post advisory notices and short commentary.
Any members who can take over or just contribute to these interesting and rewarding tasks, please speak to me as soon as possible.
A new and exciting year unfolds. Consider.